Combined Senior Boys Dezert Walk: 18 – 20 February 2021.
Time and location of departure:
Friday 14:30 – Combined Senior Boys Dezert Walk
Cnr John Voster ave and Lenchen rd
“A Comfort Zone is a beautiful place, but nothing grows there.” – Lewis Pugh
Join us for a weekend of growth and development – where the participants are taken out of their comfort zones, placed under pressure and developed to the full. This weekend away will develop the character and leadership skills of the participants. It is an event aimed at high school girls and over the past 15 years this event has impacted lives tremendously. This is a tough camp without any luxuries. Participants work together in groups and perform various activities in these groups.
The Desert Walk is a leadership development initiative that is rather unique. It removes pupils from their comfort zones and uses hardship and sacrifice to prepare the participants for their ministry of Leadership. The Desert Walk is a tough, demanding event, but it is not dangerous. We do not have activities on the programme that put the pupils in danger. All meals are provided but there are no luxuries like sweets or a tuckshop.
It develops perseverance, “guts”, appreciation, determination, self-knowledge, teamwork, and most of all, RESPECT. The main characteristics of a true Desert Walker are Respect, Integrity, Courage and Accountability.
What the Desert Walk entails:
- A weekend on a farm, camping in own tents / sheds / open air and cooking own food on gas stoves.
- First 24 hours: A tough walk, sleep deprivation, raw vegetables as food, physical activities. I.e.: complete removal from comfort zone.
- Thereafter: Activities designed to build pupils up and have fun.
- Proper debriefing on the last evening (Tribal counsel), where feedback is given to pupils and where they (the pupils) discuss what they learned about themselves and others during the various challenges.
- Each Desert Walk is designed to ensure that the participants leave on a “high”, with positive memories and a positive attitude.
Aims of the Desert Walk
- To create appropriate role models within the scholar population.
- To raise up a number of “tough” winners with fighting spirit.
- To develop responsibility in the pupils to enable them to become leaders.
- To develop RESPECT… For self, peers, superiors, the environment and GOD.
- To create a rapport and relationship between a group of pupils and staff members.
- To help pupils with self-discovery. Removing them from their comfort zones help them realize that they are capable of much more than what they ever imagined.
- To teach pupils to appreciate the things that they have been blessed with in life. They form sincere appreciation for even the smallest privileges of civilized existence.
- To develop teamwork, and to teach pupils how to function effectively in a team context.
- To equip pupils to become real leaders.
- To teach our boys what it means to be a man and to teach our girls about the strength of woman.
- To engage in various “tough” conversations and develop responsible members of society who are anti-racist and actively oppose gender based violence.
- To create pride and ownership in the school to which they belong.
Please download the below requirements list to ensure you have everything you need to enjoy this desert walk. Please note that only the items on this list may be packed. If something is not on the list, it is not because we forgot about it – it’s deliberately not there.
This camp is for high school boys from Grade 10 and 11.
Important Covid information
All Covid protocols are in place for this event. We presume that some restrictions would have been lifted and we are planning an event that allows gatherings of 100 people outdoors.
For any additional information please contact – firstname.lastname@example.org
To buy a ticket for this event, we need the person who will attend the event to register a profile on our website and then buy 1 ticket. This event counts towards your completion of your Leadership Certificate and must therefore be added to your personal profile. Please watch the following video for information on creating a profile on our website: https://youtu.be/a4Obl-SMogw
NB: Once the “Desert walk” event has been purchased, the participant will automatically receive a Desert walk course which has to be completed before attending the actual event.
How to locate course: Login – My courses.
You can purchase your tickets to this event below!
Start TimeFebruary 18, 2022 - 2:30 pm
End TimeFebruary 20, 2022 - 5:00 pm